Senior Kindergarten (ages 5–6)
Senior Kindergarten students review the fundamentals learned in Junior Kindergarten as listed above early in the school year. Each of these skill areas is extended to a greater depth and breadth so that the student develops mastery more fully. New students learn these things quickly in the group-classroom setting.
On this foundation, Senior Kindergarten works through a comprehensive phonics program so that children can advance in the reading skills:
- Learning various long and short vowel combinations as well as consonant blends
- Writing sentences by dictation, as well as short stories
- Reading from books aloud in class daily as well as at home
- Counting by 2’s, 3’s, 100’s, etc.
- Adding and subtracting through the 10 family as well as “twins”
- and many, many songs, poems, Bible passages, and interesting projects