To assist parents in their educational responsibility Good Shepherd offers a curriculum that:
- imparts the academic disciplines in accord with a high standard of excellence
- is faithful to Holy Scripture
- instructs the students in the historic Christian faith
- cultivates righteous character in accord with the Ten Commandments
- equips students to be the moral and intellectual leaders in their callings and thereby brings glory to God and advances His kingdom
Good Shepherd School’s curriculum offers a solid academic foundation in its program of study. Using the time-honored “trivium,” (three-fold way) and its three stages of learning as a guide, curriculum materials are carefully chosen to ensure that students in the Grammar stage (K–6) acquire the necessary phonetic, reading, arithmetic, and writing skills in traditional core subjects.
Coursework mastered in the Grammar stage is built upon in subsequent study in the Logic and Rhetoric stages (7th–12th). In the Logic stage, emphasis is given to developing critical reading and thinking skills through the use of original sources.
The Rhetoric stage focuses upon the cultivation of effective and persuasive communication skills in original research, reports, and presentations. It also includes participation in our debate program, in which our teams compete in tournaments against other teams regionally from both independent school districts and private schools.
The courses for 7th–12th grade students are college preparatory in nature, satisfying necessary college entrance requirements.